Maximum Fun is a an independent podcast and radio production organization, based in Los Angeles. The network distributes a total of thirty audio and video programs in the areas of comedy and culture, including the NPR radio show Bullseye with Jesse Thorn.
Shows produced in our Los Angeles office include the audio shows Bullseye, Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness, International Waters, Jordan, Jesse, Go!, Judge John Hodgman, One Bad Mother, Pop Rocket, and Throwing Shade, as well as the video show Brian & Lindsay Will Totally Eat That.
We're seeking a recent graduate (or equivalent) or person who is transitioning to a career in audio production. The production fellow will work full-time out of our office near downtown Los Angeles.
If that's you, apply today! Our application deadline is July 17, 2016.
Our production fellowship program will be a full-time position, and will focus on all aspects of production of our in-house programming, including assisting with writing scripts, research, booking, engineering recordings, editing audio, getting material broadcast and podcast-ready, writing content for our blog, and managing and curating social media for our shows. The fellow will also assist with occasional live shows and events.
The fellow will work primarily under the supervision of the Senior Producer at Maximum Fun. We take training and skill-building seriously, and expect the Fellow to advance existing skills and build many new skills over the course of the year. Our year-end goal is a Fellow capable of comfortably handling all steps of the audio production process, from pre-production to publishing.
MaximumFun.org is an equal opportunity employer, and actively seeks applicants from a broad variety of backgrounds. Diversity of experience and perspective is essential to our business. We want interesting and distinctive candidates, not cultural homogeneity.
The Maximum Fun Production Fellowship is a one-year, full-time position. The fellow will receive an annual salary of $21,000, plus paid federal holidays and a benefits package that includes health insurance, sick time, personal time, YMCA membership, and more.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Will not be enrolled in an academic program throughout the duration of the program
- Some experience with Adobe Audition, ProTools, or similar digital editing software
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure
- Ability to multitask
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Love of comedy and culture
Preferred / pluses:
- Experience in radio or podcast production
- Journalism experience
- Some experience with video editing
- Some event coordination experience
We cannot accept international applicants who are not residents of the US.
To apply for the production fellowship, please send the following to email@example.com:
- A cover letter of no more than 500 words explaining why you should be selected for the program, and why you'd like to work in public radio and/or podcast production.
- A resume
- The names, phone numbers and email addresses of two references we may contact, including at least one past employer
- A work sample (i.e. an audio piece or journalistic work that you helped produce, including a description of your work on the project. Mp3 download link or Soundcloud link OK.)
- Brief answers (no more than a paragraph) to these questions
* What is your previous journalism and/or radio or podcast production experience?
* What is your experience with audio editing?
* What book, article, show, film, podcast, album, song or other cultural product that you consumed this week would you recommend to a friend? Why?
* Tell us one of your favorite segments from one of our shows, and why you think it works.