Internships at Maximum Fun & Bullseye
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn, distributed by National Public Radio (NPR), is an arts & entertainment interview public radio show and podcast about what's good in culture. The program airs weekly on stations nationwide. Past guests include Bob Odenkirk, Judd Apatow, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Cera, Outkast's Big Boi, tUnE-yArDs, Les Savy Fav, Weird Al and George R.R. Martin among many others.
We offer an unpaid volunteer internship program, welcoming a student each academic semester. The internship is about 14-16 hours per week (in the winter/spring) or about 20 hours per week (in the summer) in our office near downtown Los Angeles. We are directly across the park from the Westlake / Macarthur Park Red Line station. (That's our view in the photo above!) We strongly prefer students who will receive academic credit for their work. We will consider exceptions for recent graduates.
What we look for in an internship applicant:
What You'll Learn
- Enthusiasm for pop culture (this is a must!), comedy, podcasts, public radio
- Reliability and good time management
- Excellent communication skills
The production intern will be trained in and learn about aspects of the production of Bullseye and its associated content.
This includes editing audio and/or video, creating and posting content to our website and podcast feeds, getting material broadcast and podcast-ready, coordinating occasional live shows and events, and booking, research and prep for interviews with actors, comedians, musicians, writers, and other pop culture figures.
The goal is for the intern to have the tools for production of an independent radio show or podcast.
Dates & Deadlines
We offer three internship periods, each approximately four months in length. The Fall period runs roughly from September through December or early January, the Winter/Spring period from January through May or June, and the Summer period from May/June through August or September. We can make some provision for varying academic schedules as necessary.
WINTER INTERNSHIP APPLICATION DEADLINE IS MONDAY DECEMBER 8, 2014. The start date for the internship will be in January 2015.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE PRODUCTION INTERNSHIP
Please email the materials below as a Word document or PDF to email@example.com with the subject line PRODUCTION INTERNSHIP.
- A cover letter, no longer than 500 words, telling us why you're interested in Bullseye and this internship. You should be familiar with Bullseye and have a love of culture (you'll be putting it to good use).
- A resume. Please be sure to include any experience you may have in: radio / tv / internet broadcasting or other journalism, and audio or video editing. (It's OK if you don't have much experience! We'll teach you.)
- Names and contact information (phone numbers and email) for two references. We prefer academic and professional references.